What is a Legal Capacity to Contract Marriage (“Ehefähigkeitszeugnis”)?
How to get a Legal Capacity to Contract Marriage (“Ehefähigkeitszeugnis”)?
This paper is issued by their diplomatic official in the Philippines. This is called the “Ehefaehigkeitszeugnis” in German and is available from the Local Civil Registry Office or “Standesamt”. The German fiancee/fiance SHOULD have this document ready before his flight to the Philippines.
" ä "= " ae " in German
The requirements for this document depends on the Local Civil Registry Officer in the local town where the German fiancee/fiance lives. In our case the following papers were asked:
German fiancee/fiance:1. German Passport
2. Internatonal Birth Certificate
1. NSO Birth Certificate with Red Ribbon from the DFA
- Note that in the first page you will see a Red Ribbon, your NSO Birth Certificate is actually on the next page.
2. Joint Affidavit of Civil Status with Red Ribbon from the DFA
- Note that in the first page you will see a Red Ribbon, your Joint Affidavit of Civil Status is actually on the next page.
3. Joint Affidavit of Parental Advice with Red Ribbon from the DFA
- Note that in the first page you will see a Red Ribbon, your Joint Affidavit of Parental Advice is actually on the next page.
4. CENOMAR (Certificate of No Marriage, issued by the NSO)
5. Barangay Certificate
6. Clear Copy of Passport ID with a Certification from the DFA that this is a Certified True Copy
The Filipino fiancee/fiance should submit all documents in Original Copies, unless otherwise stated, per courier to his/her German counterpart.
The German fiancee/fiance should have the documents (from the Filipino fiancee/fiance) Translated to German by a Certified Translator.
DFA = "Department of Foreign Affairs"
NSO = "National Statistics Office"
Note that this paper is a Requirement for Marriage License Application
List of Requirements As of JUNE 2007
Note that these list of requirements might change from time to time or case to case.
For updates please visit the official site of the Embassy of the Republic of the Philippines
- Marriage Requirements in the Philippine
- Pre Marriage Counselling
- Wedding or Marriage in the Philippines
- DFA Red Ribbon
- Endorsing of Certificate of Marriage to the NSO
- Tips for contacting the Embassy